PhD Forum 2016
Wednesday, 11th May 2016 - 08:00-13:00
Meeting room "MECC 0.4 Brussels"
The EAA PhD Forum, launched in 2013, is an initiative of the EAA to help and promote PhD students in accounting. The PhD Forum is part of the EAA Annual Congress. Only PhD students that will attend the congress are able to register for the PhD Forum.
The PhD Forum will take place in the Maastricht Conference Centre (MECC) on Wednesday 11th May 2016 from 08.00 to 13.00hrs, just before the opening session of the EAA Annual Congress 2016 (www.eaacongress.org).
The PhD Forum is a great opportunity for PhD students to network and gain insight into academic accounting research and its environment through the speakers. It may also provide information as to how to establish contacts for entering the job market. The Forum is open to PhD students pursuing research in any topic areas (financial accounting, managerial accounting, audit, tax, etc.) and using any research method (empirical-archival, analytical modelling, behavioural, etc.) related to the EAA.
- To complement EAA's offering in terms of doctoral education and emerging scholar promotion;
- To foster networking of doctoral students with established scholars and each other;
- To increase the visibility of EAA within the community of doctoral students.
08:00 - 08:30 Welcome Coffee
08:30 - 08:40 Welcome Addresses
- Salvador Carmona, EAA President
- Ann Vanstraelen, EAA Congress Chair 2016
- Aljosa Valentincic, Standing Scientific Committee Chair
08:40 - 09:00 Update on EAA Doctoral Activities and the EAA Accounting
Research Centre (ARC) (presentation)
- Philip Joos and Thorsten Sellhorn, EAA MC Members
09:00 - 09:30 Update on EAA Talent Workshop and PhD mobility
- Salvador Carmona, EAA President (presentation)
- Jonas Heese, Harvard Business School (presentation)
- Holger Daske, University of Mannheim (presentation)
09:30 - 09:45 Short break
09:45 - 11:00 Plenary session: Ethics, transparency and replicability
- Peter Schotman, Associate Dean of Research and Valorisation, School of Business
and Economics, Maastricht University (presentation)
- Hervé Stolowy, Incoming Editor, European Accounting Review (presentation)
- Ties de Kok, PhD student, Tilburg University (presentation)
11:00 - 11:25 Coffee break
11:30 - 12:30 Breakout sessions
1. Trends in auditing research (presentation)
Marleen Willekens, University of Leuven
2. Trends in financial accounting research: Editors' perspectives
Patricia O'Brien, Editor, Contemporary Accounting Research
Mary Barth, Editor, The Journal of Financial Reporting
3. Quality of evidence in accounting research (presentation)
Frank Moers, Maastricht University
Joachim Gassen, Humboldt University Berlin
12:30 - 13:00 Sandwich lunch
13:00 - 13:40 Congress Opening Session
Attendance will be limited to those PhD students and emerging scholars who are registered for the Congress.
Registration to the PhD Forum 2016 can only be done simultaneously with the registration to the EAA Annual Congress 2016 via the online registration system. Please note that you will be asked to send a proof of your PhD status.